We cannot let Europe’s energy crisis become America’s future.
Europe is in crisis.
- BREAKING: The Wall Street Journal: Russia Halts Nord Stream Gas Pipeline, Ratcheting Up Pressure on Europe
- Bloomberg: Europe Gas Settles Just Shy of Record as Energy Misery Piles Up
- Reuters: Russia cuts gas flows further as Europe urges energy saving
- Axios: Europe’s energy outlook darkens
- The Guardian: Spain puts limits on air conditioning and heating to save energy
- Bloomberg: European Energy Prices Soar on Summer Crisis, Winter Gloom
- CNBC: 3 charts show Europe’s unprecedented natural gas crisis
- Axios: In Europe, energy crisis drives growing cutbacks
Why is this happening? It’s because of Europe’s “rush-to-green” policy agenda to quickly shut down reliable energy sources (like coal, natural gas, and nuclear) and replace them with less reliable sources like wind and solar, which are dependent on the weather and Chinese supply chains.
This reality on the other side of the Atlantic — blackouts, scarcity, and crippling dependence on foreign regimes like Russia — could be America’s future under the Democrats’ scheme to “transition” away from our most reliable energy sources.
The proof: The price at the gas pump reached a historical record high and natural gas spiked to a 14-year high. The American people have been feeling the pain of higher costs and more inflation since President Biden’s took office. Since day one, he has shut down American energy, blocked pipelines, and hurt our ability to modernize our infrastructure and secure our supply chains. The Democrats’ agenda will make this crisis worse. For example, rather than help lower costs today for hardworking Americans and their families, their massive tax and spending spree:
- Makes energy more expensive by increasing costs to produce American energy, including a first-ever tax on natural gas.
- Directs more tax breaks to the wealthy to buy electric vehicles and home appliances.
- Wastes billions on Green New Deal programs and a rushed transition to more expensive and less reliable solar and wind energy.
- Fails to include meaningful permitting reforms and regulatory reforms that would simultaneously bolster good-paying American jobs, secure our supply chains, and reduce America’s dependence on China.
- Creates a ‘Solyndra on Steroids’ with Department of Energy loan subsidies and more than $250 billion in new loan guarantee authorities ripe for waste, fraud, and abuse.
Unlike the Democrats’ actions to force an unreliable and unaffordable energy transition like Europe, Energy and Commerce Republicans support increasing the production of American energy to grow our economy, secure our energy needs, lower costs, and keep the lights on. America must embrace a wide range of domestic energy resources, including coal, oil, natural gas, hydropower, and nuclear power.
Below, don’t miss what Energy and Commerce Republicans have been up to in and around their districts and over the past several weeks.
Energy and Commerce Committee Republican Leader Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) toured the Lower Granite Dam, which produces state-of-the-art hydropower for the region. Leader Rodgers saw the fish ladders, which help salmon to travel up-river, and screens which prevent juveniles from getting caught in turbines. These ladders and screens improve fish survival and passing rates while still allowing the dam to power homes.
Leader Rodgers also toured the Columbia Generating Station. This station generates nuclear power, one of America’s most reliable and clean energy sources. American nuclear power plants produce about 790 billion kilowatt hours of electricity a year. That is enough to power more than 70 million homes.
After a meeting with energy leaders at the University of Washington’s Spokane campus, Leader Rodgers went to Avista Edge’s Innovation lab where she saw first-hand the work they were doing to improve grid reliability during the summer. Their work with Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories is helping keep people safe by preventing brownouts and blackouts.
Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-SC) led nine other representatives in a tour of South Carolina’s “all-of-the-above” energy approach embraced by Republicans. The members saw how nuclear power, hydropower, and innovation are necessary for clean and secure American energy.
“I was honored to lead nine of my colleagues on an ‘all-of-the-above’ energy tour to demonstrate our leadership and critical role in energy innovation and production,” Rep. Duncan wrote in his op-ed for the Washington Times. “It’s one thing to hear about nuclear energy production and all-of-the-above energy solutions, but it’s another thing to experience this firsthand at some of the nation’s leading facilities.”
Rep. Bill Johnson (R-OH) spoke on the House Floor about the disastrous policies Democrats are forcing on the American people. Rep. Johnson spoke out against the natural gas tax, which will drive up the price of natural gas even more on Americans.
Rep. Gus Bilirakis (R-FL) also pushed for an all-of-the-above approach to energy during travels in his district.
“As we grapple with energy affordability and our responsibilities to the future, we need to encourage energy innovation and pursue an ‘all-of-the-above’ approach. New and emerging technologies will allow the United States to better harness the existing swath of renewable and nonrenewable energy sources that are available.”
Rep. Bob Latta (R-OH) participated in a roundtable discussion with representatives from Ohio’s energy industry where he focused on the challenges Ohioans are facing with high energy prices, supply chain problems, and burdensome regulations.
“Americans are paying more at the pump and on their electric and natural gas bills because of record high inflation and policies that are hostile to American energy. Folks here in Ohio are demanding solutions.”
Rep. Markwayne Mullin (R-OK) also participated in an energy roundtable event with fellow members of Congress.
Energy and Commerce Committee Republicans have also been highlighting the harmful results of inflation from President Biden and Democrats’ reckless tax and spending agenda.
CLICK HERE to read about E&C Republican’s Securing Cleaner American Energy Agenda.