Washington, D.C. — House Energy and Commerce Republican Leader Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) and Republican Leader for Oversight and Investigations Morgan Griffith (R-VA) are requesting information and transparency from four progressive groups about possible ties to the Chinese Communist Party (CCP).
As reported first by Fox News:
On July 7, 2021, more than 40 different progressive organizations called on the Biden administration and Congress to abandon an “antagonistic posture” towards China in favor of a more cooperative relationship to combat climate change. The progressive organizations’ letter appears to promote the CCP’s policies, while ignoring China’s dominant contribution to global greenhouse gas emissions and atrocious human rights abuses of Uyghur Muslims in China. The letter from the progressive groups received attention from Chinese state-run media.
The Energy and Commerce Republicans are asking a number of questions of the Sunrise Movement, Union of Concerned Scientists, MoveOn, and Earthworks, including:
- Have they received funding from the CCP or taken any action, including lobbying the U.S. government, at the direction of CCP or individuals connected to the CCP?
- Did the CCP or any individual or organization connected to the CCP ask them to draft, sign, or promote their letter?
- Have these groups ever criticized the CCP for any action taken, including regarding the CCP’s ongoing genocide of Uyghur Muslims?
The organizations are each asked to respond by October 14, 2021.
CLICK HERE to read the letter to Sunrise Movement.
CLICK HERE to read the letter to the Union of Concerned Scientists.
CLICK HERE to read the letter to MoveOn.
CLICK HERE to read the letter to Earthworks.
CLICK HERE to read this story on FoxNews.com.
NOTE: During the Energy and Commerce mark up of the Democrats’ multi-trillion-dollar tax and spending spree, Republicans led a number of amendments to stand up against China for its human rights abuses. To advance their radical agenda, Democrats BLOCKED Republican-led amendments to:
- Prohibit the use of critical minerals from China.
- Prohibit the use of any critical minerals that were mined using child and slave labor in a foreign country, including in China.
- Prohibit grants to entities controlled by the Chinese Communist Party.