Washington, D.C. — House Energy and Commerce Committee Republican Leader Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA), Subcommittee on Health Republican Leader Brett Guthrie (R-KY), and Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations Republican Leader Morgan Griffith (R-VA) sent a letter today to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Rochelle P. Walensky requesting a briefing on the multiple crises that have occurred under her leadership at the agency.
The Leaders point to several issues that have eroded public trust in Director Walensky and the CDC:
- School guidance that kept children locked out of school and contradicted Director Walensky’s own recommendations prior to leading the CDC;
- Politically compromised guidance due to inappropriate collaboration with teachers’ unions;
- Summer camp guidance that required children to wear masks outdoors; Misleading the public on COVID-19 transmission outdoors;
- Mask guidance for vaccinated individuals that in part relied on a study from India despite the study reviewing the effectiveness of vaccines not used in the U.S.;
- Touting an unreliable study out of Arizona to justify masking children in schools; and
- Misleading the public on the number of hospital patients who have been admitted with COVID-19 as opposed to being admitted for COVID-19.
LETTER EXCERPT: “These are just a few of the instances that demonstrate a pattern of distorting or ignoring science and misleading the American public by CDC, which undoubtedly has further eroded public trust in you and your agency. If you continue to lead the CDC for the Biden administration, we suggest you insulate your agency’s decisions from political pressures.”
Leader Rodgers requests that Director Walensky arrange the briefing with the Committee by January 28, 2022.
CLICK HERE to read the full letter to Director Walensky.
NOTE: On October 27, 2021, Energy and Commerce Republicans sent a letter to Energy and Commerce Chair Frank Pallone (D-NJ) requesting he schedule a hearing on the Biden Administration’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic. CLICK HERE to read the letter.