The Roadmap Biden Should Follow to Secure our Competitive Edge
President Joe Biden is scheduled to meet with China’s President Xi Jinping this week.
China does not share America's values of celebrating life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for all. This serves as a reminder that we MUST secure our competitive edge against China to win the future.
Here’s how Energy and Commerce and the People’s House is leading to bolster American leadership, promote freedom, and beat China:
Enhancing Our Security:
- H.R. 1, the Lower Energy Costs Act, unleashes American energy production, reduces emissions, strengthens our national security, and secures our supply chains. Affordable, reliable, clean energy is key to America’s security. (Passed the People’s House with bipartisan support)
- H.R. 22, the Protecting America’s Strategic Petroleum Reserve from China Act, prevents President Biden from further jeopardizing our national and energy security by selling off our Strategic Petroleum Reserves (SPR) to the Chinese Communist Party. (Passed the People’s House with bipartisan support)
- H.R. 21, the Strategic Production Response Act, prevents President Biden from abusing the SPR through politically motivated, “non-emergency” sales. (Passed the People’s House with bipartisan support)
- H.R 3565, the Spectrum Auction Reauthorization Act of 2023, extends spectrum auction authority and improves our national security by providing more than $3 billion to remove Huawei and ZTE from our networks. (Passed out of Committee with bipartisan support)
- E&C is leading on solutions to combat China’s growing influence in the global economy and reduce America's reliance on Chinese supply chains that use slave labor. We passed bills out of the Innovation, Data, and Commerce Subcommittee to support American manufacturing, secure our critical supply chains, and cement our leadership in deploying emerging technologies.
- E&C is investigating how data brokers surveil the American people and sell their data and sensitive information to anyone, including the Chinese Communist Party.
- At our hearing with TikTok CEO Shou Chew, E&C exposed why Tik Tok must be banned to protect our national and personal security. Americans deserve to know how TikTok jeopardizes their privacy and manipulates what they see to benefit the Chinese Communist Party.
- H.R. 750, the CAUTION Act, provides greater transparency over what mobile applications, like TikTok, have been banned for use on federal government devices. (Passed out of Committee)
- H.R. 784, the Internet Application I.D. Act, and H.R. 742, the TELL Act, provide Americans with greater transparency over what information of theirs is accessible by the Chinese Communist Party. (Passed out of Committee)
- H.R. 3557, the American Broadband Deployment Act of 2023, helps close the digital divide, encourages faster deployment of 5G technology, and strengthens American communications leadership by streamlining broadband permitting and expediting deployment. (Passed out of Committee)
Putting American Jobs and Innovation First:
- E&C is leading to protect people’s data privacy and security, and ensure America leads in developing the standards and deploying artificial intelligence with our values—not China’s—built in. Our latest hearing series explores the role of AI across every sector of the economy, including healthcare, telecommunications, emerging technologies, and energy.
- H.R. 813, the Global Investment in American Jobs Act of 2023, helps identify barriers that prevent investment from our allies into American companies and secures American leadership for emerging technologies. (Passed the People’s House with bipartisan support)
- H.R. 1338, the Satellite and Telecommunications Streamlining Act, promotes American innovation in the satellite communications marketplace. The bill will streamline the regulatory process for satellite communications networks to provide new and better communications service to Americans and improve American competitiveness. (Passed out of Committee)
- H.R. 1435, the Preserving Choice in Vehicle Purchases Act, stops President Biden from dictating the vehicles Americas can drive. Forcing Americans to switch to electric vehicles plays right into China’s scheme to control our automotive future. (Passed the People’s House)