Chairs Rodgers, Guthrie Announce Subcommittee Legislative Hearing on Improving Access to Care for Patients and Supporting Research for Rare Diseases
Washington, D.C. — House Energy and Commerce Committee Chair Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) and Subcommittee on Health Chair Brett Guthrie (R-KY) today announced a subcommittee legislative hearing titled “Examining Proposals that Provide Access to Care for Patients and Support Research for Rare Diseases.”
"The committee is working to reauthorize key programs that provide access to care for mothers, children, cancer patients and first responders, as well as support research for rare diseases. This legislative hearing will give our members a chance to evaluate the effectiveness of these programs and discuss legislation to continue them,” said Chairs Rodgers and Guthrie.
The Chairs also added, “It is critical to protect young children from being subjected to experimental procedures that can cause irreversible damage, require medical care for life, and lead to permanent infertility. Funding for teaching programs at children’s hospitals should not go to institutions that conduct such procedures, which other countries are abandoning after reviewing the latest outcome data. We hope this Committee can come together and agree to stand up and protect the innocence of children.”
Subcommittee on Health hearing titled “Examining Proposals that Provide Access to Care for Patients and Support Research for Rare Diseases”
WHAT: A subcommittee legislative hearing to discuss programs that provide access to care for mothers, children, cancer patients, and firefighters as well as research into rare diseases.
DATE: Wednesday, June 14, 2023
TIME: 10:30 AM EDT
LOCATION: 2322 Rayburn House Office Building
WITNESSES: Witnesses will be announced and are by invitation only.
LEGISLATION AND PROPOSALS UNDER CONSIDERATION:
- H.R. 3226, the PREEMIE Reauthorization Act of 2023 (Reps. Anna Eshoo, Mariannette Miller-Meeks, Robin Kelly, Jen Kiggans, Lisa Blunt Rochester, and Michael Burgess)
- H.R. 3838, the Preventing Maternal Deaths Reauthorization Act of 2023 (Reps. Michael Burgess, Diana DeGette, Buddy Carter, Robin Kelly, Kat Cammack, and Kathy Castor)
- H.R. 3843, the Action for Dental Health Act of 2023 (Reps. Robin Kelly and Mike Simpson)
- H.R.__, the Sickle Cell Disease and Other Heritable Blood Disorders Research, Surveillance, Prevention, and Treatment Act of 2023 (Reps. Michael Burgess, Danny Davis, and Buddy Carter)
- H.R. 3821, the Firefighter Cancer Registry Reauthorization Act of 2023 (Reps. Bill Pascrell, Brian Fitzpatrick, Steny Hoyer, and Mike Bost)
- H.R. 2365, the National Plan to End Parkinson’s Act (Reps. Gus Bilirakis and Paul Tonko)
- H.R. 3391, the Gabriella Miller Kids First Research Act 2.0 (Reps. Jennifer Wexton, Tom Cole, Debbie Dingell, and Gus Bilirakis)
- H.R. 3887, the Children’s Hospital GME Support Reauthorization Act of 2023 (Rep. Dan Crenshaw)
- H.R. 3836, the Medicaid Primary Care Improvement Act (Reps. Dan Crenshaw, Kim Schrier, Lloyd Smucker, and Earl Blumenauer)
This notice is at the direction of the Chair. The hearing will be open to the public and press and will be live streamed online at https://energycommerce.house.gov/. If you have any questions concerning the hearing, please contact Jolie Brochin with the Committee staff at Jolie.Brochin@mail.house.gov. If you have any press-related questions, please contact Christopher Krepich at Christopher.Krepich@mail.house.gov.