Bipartisan Solutions to Protect the Environment and the Economy
WASHINGTON, DC – “There are bipartisan bills in Congress that we could pass right now to ensure the United States remains a global leader in emissions reduction, economic productivity, and clean energy production, all at once.”
That’s what Energy and Commerce Republican Leader Greg Walden (R-OR) said in September, calling on Democrats to work with Republicans on commonsense, bipartisan solutions to protect the environment and our economy.
The response from Democrats? Crickets, which is why they have little to show on climate solutions so far this Congress.
Compare that to last Congress, when under Republican leadership, the Energy and Commerce Committee held hearings and passed legislation to protect clean air, clean water, and clean land, boost nuclear energy and clean up nuclear waste.
We want that bipartisan progress to continue. That is why Energy and Commerce Republicans are hosting an “Energy & Environment Innovation Showcase” next week – with more than 15 companies and organizations – to highlight the importance of investing in the development and deployment of breakthrough technologies to reduce emissions, power the economy of tomorrow, and provide greater value to American consumers.
As we focus on local solutions at the showcase – powered by American innovators – to strengthen our energy security, power the economic engines of the future, and address climate change risks, we are renewing our call for Democrats to work with us on realistic, innovative public policy.
12 in ’20 ➡ Here are 12 bipartisan bills Democrats could work with Republicans to pass into law in 2020 to reduce emissions, promote clean energy, and conserve our natural resources. This is not an exhaustive list, but these bills would go a long way to help ensure we are good stewards of both our environment AND our economy:
- USE IT Act – Promotes the development of carbon capture and utilization
- Resilient Federal Forests Act – Reduces wildfire risk through active forest management.
- Nuclear Energy Leadership Act – Promotes advanced nuclear energy technology.
- Energy Savings Through Private-Public Partnerships Act – Promotes efficient energy use within the federal government, which saves taxpayer dollars.
- New Source Review Permitting Reform – Removes hurdles to energy efficiency improvements.
- Small Scale LNG Access Act – Encourages the development & use of American natural gas.
- LEADING Act – Boosts R&D for carbon capture technology for natural gas projects.
- Advanced Nuclear Fuel Availability Act – Ensures fuel availability for new nuclear technology.
- BEST Act – Enhances R&D for grid-scale energy storage systems.
- Expanding Access to Sustainable Energy Act – Bolsters local energy storage & grid programs.
- Carbon Capture Modernization Act – Expands tax credits for carbon capture projects.
- Enhancing State Energy Security Planning and Emergency Preparedness Act – Strengthens state energy security plans.